August 2, 2010

I have not died.

You may be wondering where I've been. Or maybe not, my posting here has been pretty…irregular. The truth is that I haven't written because I haven't really made anything in the past month. Which isn't to say that I didn't do anything. The first, and perhaps most interesting thing I've done recently is that I went on a short roadtrip! But I didn't take my camera, so no photos for you!

My college roommate needed to drive from Boston to San Antonio, and definitely didn't want to do it herself. Her husband moved there in January for a job, and she was finally able to sell their place and join him. So I tagged along as entertainment. I could only take a week off of work, so my end point was Kentucky. She drives the cutest mini cooper!  And while I can drive a manual transmission, I'm certainly not good enough at it to even suggest driving her car. So my job was to navigate.

I arrived in Boston last Thursday morning and promptly took the bus to Framingham.  Katie had some last minute things to finish up with at work, so I walked to a bar across from the bus station and got a beer and watched some World Cup. It was pretty nice, I'm not going to lie. Katie arrived, and we left immediately for WEBS.

For the non-crafty types, WEBS is a yarn store. But not just any yarn store. It has among the widest selection I've ever seen! In addition to the major brands, they had a lot of smaller labels, spinning and weaving supplies, and a great atmosphere. But what really stands out is the warehouse. Behind the store, there is a medium size warehouse full of yarn. Full of it, all in bags! They provide shopping carts! You can just wander the aisles and rip the bags open when something strikes you. I admit, I was a little overwhelmed by all the choice, but I walked away with a skein of sock yarn.

The next day, we set out for New Jersey. First, we stopped at Down Cellar, where I worked for a year. They recently moved to an excellent location. They have a cute little house just up the street from the old shop. It has a lot more room, and the storage is fantastic. They even offer sewing instruction now! My craft senses were tingling. Tingling I tell you! It was great to see Kathy, Lureen, and Keri again. I miss the store and everyone there a lot. It's sad, but I haven't found that kind of craft community here in New Orleans yet. We spent the night with a friend of mine from grad school and had drinks with the Rutgers Art History crowd. The weather was nice, and it was a good night for beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment