March 3, 2010

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Truffles


I am in love with these. Actually, lust might be more accurate. They were born out of neccessity. A few days before Mardi Gras, my roommate came home from her job at the coffee shop carrying a 5 pound box of graham cracker crumbs.* The girl hates to waste food. She might be allergic to it. It's been hanging around the house ever since. I made a chocolate pie with a graham cracker crust, but still, the graham cracker crumbs endure.

And here we are, post Lombardi Gras, and still, the crumbs. Clearly, the answer is truffles. I adapted the recipe from here. I had to make some changes to make use of what we had in the house. It would be a good idea to temper the chocolate, otherwise it melts in your hand. But I'm lazy. So I didn't.

Peanut Butter Truffles

Ingredients:
3/4 cup peanut butter
2 tbs butter
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
3/4 cup powdered sugar
12 oz bag chocolate chips
1 tbs butter

Directions:

Stir together the graham cracker crumbs and the sugar. Heat the peanut butter in the microwave and pour into the sugar mix. Melt the butter and pour that in too. Stir till it's all mixed. It'll look like a thick, crumbly paste.

Melt the chocolate chips and the butter in a double boiler. Take chunks of the peanut butter and squeeze it into balls. The original recipe says you should get 36. I think that's silly, I only got 12. Dunk the balls in the chocolate, then set them on wax paper. Stick the whole shebang in the fridge and let it set.

Then you should eat them. Just try not to eat all of them in one sitting. I dare you!


*It's not that strange, a few days later she biked home carrying three king cakes while wearing sunglasses given to her by a motorcycle Elvis, singing Pink Floyd.

No comments:

Post a Comment